Wednesday, May 20, 2009

They are 9 days old!


The little duckies are doing so good and growing every day. They are 9 days old today and have now taken to playing and trying to swim in my gladware. Every day when it gets around 80 degrees I take them outside to my chicken tractor and cover half of it with a sheet so they have some shade. As long as the weather stays warm, they play outside in the grass. they are being fed a equal mix of organic chick starter and turkey/wildgame bird starter. they get lettuce, spinach or frozen peas daily and love to dive for the peas in their little bathtub. They are also still getting electrolytes and vitamins in their water. I will start tapering that off in a few weeks and then only give it to them during the day when they are outside in the heat.


Photobucket

They started out playing in a small bowl and then a 9 inch pie plate so they could take baths and not get soaked, clean their beaks and have fun. It was also nice for them to be able to cool off by sitting in it. Sadly, they would not all fit so I had to put 2 pie plates in there. hahahahaha


Photobucket
Ancona,Golden Welsh Harlequins

Photobucket

At a week old they were getting too big for their pie plates. So, I sacrificed a lasagna sized gladware pan for them. they thought they were in duckie heaven. they could submerge and try to swim to the other end. it was more like watching them scoot across the container underwater. Happy ducklings!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Ancona,Golden Welsh Harlequins

Ancona

I am learning about more about ducks that I ever knew with these little guys. They grow so fast, are ubber friendly one day and skittish the next and they make a HUGE mess. hahahaha

Yes, I love my duckies.

No comments:

Post a Comment